This one-pot jambalaya recipe is straightforward, scrumptious, and satisfying because of the addition of rooster, shrimp, and spicy andouille sausage. You’re half-hour away from a Mardi Gras dinner that the entire household will love!
Simple Do-it-yourself Jambalaya Recipe
Jambalaya is my go-to winter stew! Throughout the winter season, I make this jambalaya recipe about as soon as a month. When the climate’s chilly, there’s nothing higher than a hearty consolation meals dinner with somewhat bit of warmth to heat you up in and out!
My jambalaya is flavorful and filling, and it’s additionally the proper casserole for feeding a crowd. It’s a flexible dish that may be adjusted to fit your private taste preferences, and it actually is a wonderful recipe for people who prefer to strive new issues.
Jambalaya is a well-liked Creole and Cajun dish with African, Spanish, and French influences. As a result of it originated in Louisiana, it’s usually related to Mardi Gras, however there’s no cause you may’t eat it year-round. (And belief me, you will need to!)
It’s usually ready with rooster, shrimp or crawfish, andouille sausage, and rice, though there are all types of variations on the traditional. The meat-and-rice combo is flavored with the Cajun holy trinity—onion, celery, and inexperienced pepper—together with herbs, spices, and diced tomatoes.
Along with being the final word consolation meals, this jambalaya recipe can be the final word one-pot dinner. You’ve acquired your veggies, your meat, and your starch multi function handy pot. We’re speaking a excellent weeknight dinner right here, associates!
What You’ll Want
Right here’s a rundown of the elements you’ll want for this jambalaya recipe. Scroll all the way down to the recipe card for the portions and recipe directions.
- Yellow onion
- Celery ribs
- Bell peppers: Inexperienced is the traditional selection for a jambalaya recipe, however you should utilize crimson, orange, or yellow when you favor.
- Boneless skinless rooster breasts: I like boneless skinless rooster breasts as a result of they’re really easy to work with, however you can too use a unique lower of rooster.
Candy paprika: Candy paprika is right, smoked paprika is scrumptious too, however keep away from scorching paprika until you need your jambalaya tremendous spicy!
- Andouille sausage: Reduce the sausage into 1/4-inch rounds.
- Tomato paste: For those who purchase a can for this recipe, freeze the remainder in 1-tablespoon parts, pop them in a freezer bag, and also you received’t want to purchase a brand new can subsequent time you want tomato paste!
- Low-sodium fats free rooster broth: Rooster inventory may also be used, however as a result of inventory is unseasoned, you’ll want so as to add extra salt to the recipe.
- Diced tomatoes
- Lengthy grain rice
- Cajun seasoning: Cajun seasoning can carry loads of warmth, so be happy to regulate to your liking.
- Shrimp: Peel and devein the shrimp.
What Form of Sausage is Andouille?
Andouille is a Cajun smoked sausage made with pork, onions, pepper, and different seasonings. It’s coarse-grained, and it may be fairly spicy, relying on the range you purchase.
How you can Make Jambalaya
It’s time to roll up your sleeves and make this hearty jambalaya recipe! Right here’s what you’ll have to do.
- Put together. Warmth the oil in a big Dutch oven set over medium warmth.
- Cook dinner the trinity. Add the onions, celery, and bell peppers to the Dutch oven and season with salt and pepper. Cook dinner for 4 minutes or till simply softened. Stir in garlic and prepare dinner for 1 minute.
- Add the rooster. Stir within the rooster, candy paprika, and oregano and prepare dinner for five minutes, or till the rooster is properly browned on all sides.
- Add the subsequent a number of elements. Add the sausage and tomato paste; stir and prepare dinner for 1 minute, then add the rooster broth, crushed tomatoes, rice, and cajun seasoning. Deliver the combination to a boil.
- Simmer. Cut back the warmth to medium-low and canopy the pot. Cook dinner for 20 minutes, or till the rice is tender and a lot of the liquid is absorbed.
- End. Add the shrimp and prepare dinner for 4 to five minutes, or till it’s pink and cooked by. Take away from warmth, garnish with sliced inexperienced onions and dried parsley, then serve.
As you may see, this jambalaya recipe is straightforward. That stated, these extra suggestions will assist you make it excellent!
- Can’t discover andouille sausage? You should utilize a unique sort of smoked sausage like kielbasa or chorizo.
- Control the rice. After 10 minutes, elevate the lid of the Dutch oven and take a peek. If it appears to be like dry, add extra rooster broth.
- Don’t overcook it. Jambalaya isn’t a saucy dish, nevertheless it isn’t a dry rice dish both, so don’t await the entire liquid to soak up. As quickly because the rice is tender, you may transfer onto the subsequent step of the recipe.
- Alter it to your liking. Cajun meals is understood for being spicy, however you may all the time make this jambalaya recipe on the milder aspect after which let everybody modify the warmth for their very own particular person servings by including Tabasco or further Cajun seasoning.
Jambalaya is a whole meal with protein, greens, and grains multi function pot. Serve it as-is, or high it with further inexperienced onions, parsley, or scorching sauce. For those who’d like so as to add a aspect, serve this jambalaya recipe with a small salad to maintain it gentle and wholesome or with some cornbread and an acidic crimson wine like Pinot Noir or Zinfandel.
How you can Retailer and Reheat Leftover Jambalaya
- Leftover jambalaya could be saved in an hermetic container and refrigerated for as much as 3 days. To reheat, place the jambalaya in a saucepan over medium-low warmth with a splash of water or broth and gently stir till heated by—or simply pop it within the microwave!
Can I Freeze Jambalaya?
- Sure, you may freeze jambalaya for as much as 3 months. Retailer it in an hermetic container or freezer bag; let it thaw within the fridge in a single day earlier than serving, then reheat it over medium-low warmth. If it’s dry, stir in a couple of tablespoons of broth or water.
Extra Cajun-Impressed Recipes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced (you can too use crimson, inexperienced, yellow, and so on.)
- salt and recent floor black pepper, to style
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound boneless skinless rooster breasts, cubed
- ¼ teaspoon candy paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 6 ounces andouille sausage, sliced into ¼-inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups rooster broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup lengthy grain rice
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning, or to style
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 inexperienced onions, thinly sliced, for garnish
- chopped recent parsley, for garnish
In a big Dutch oven warmth olive oil over medium warmth.
Add onions, celery, and bell peppers and season with salt and pepper.
Cook dinner for 4 minutes, or till simply tender. Stir in garlic and prepare dinner for 1 minute.
Stir in rooster and add candy paprika and oregano.
Cook dinner for five minutes, or till rooster is browned on all sides.
Stir within the sliced sausage and tomato paste; prepare dinner for 1 minute.
Add rooster broth, crushed tomatoes, rice and cajun seasoning.
Deliver combination to a boil; scale back warmth to medium low and canopy the pot with a lid.
Cook dinner for 20 minutes, or till rice is tender and a lot of the liquid is absorbed.
Add the shrimp and prepare dinner for 3 to 4 minutes or till the shrimp is pink and cooked by.
Take away from warmth.
Garnish with sliced inexperienced onions and dried parsley.
- Rooster: I exploit boneless, skinless rooster breasts, however this tastes nice with boneless, skinless rooster thighs, too.
- Andouille Sausage: For those who can’t discover andouille sausage or need to strive one thing totally different, you should utilize polish kielbasa or chorizo.
- Rice: Lengthy grain rice is your best option for jambalaya because it cooks up fluffy and separate, creating a greater texture.
- Broth: Use a wealthy rooster (or seafood) broth to prepare dinner your jambalaya. This may add depth and extra taste to the dish.
- Seasonings: Alter the elements and seasonings to fit your tastes.
Energy: 365 kcal | Carbohydrates: 35 g | Protein: 27 g | Fats: 13 g | Saturated Fats: 4 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 2 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 6 g | Trans Fats: 0.1 g | Ldl cholesterol: 73 mg | Sodium: 498 mg | Potassium: 839 mg | Fiber: 3 g | Sugar: 6 g | Vitamin A: 1749 IU | Vitamin C: 62 mg | Calcium: 65 mg | Iron: 2 mg | Internet Carbs: 32 g
Dietary data is an estimate and offered as courtesy. Values might differ based on the elements and instruments used. Please use your most well-liked dietary calculator for extra detailed data.
Leave a Reply